Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Impact of Test Automation in my Everyday Worklife

I'm not particularly convinced of the testing our teams test automation does for us. The scenarios is automation are somewhat simple, yet take extensive time to run. They are *system tests* and I would very much prefer seeing more things around components the team is responsible for. System tests fail often for dependencies outside the team control.

I've been actively postponing the time of doing really something about it, and today I stopped to think about what existence of the minimal automation has meant for me.

The better test automation around here seem to find random crashes (with logs and dumps that enable fixing), but that is really not the case with what I'm seeing close.

The impact existence of test automation has had for my everyday work life is that I can see with a glimpse if the test systems are down so that I don't need to pay attention to installing regularly just to know it still installs.

So I stopped to think: has this really changed something for me, personally. It has. I feel a little less rushed with my routines. And I can appreciate that.